MODEL OF INSTANTANEOUS FREQUENCY MEASUREMENT RECEIVER WITH PRELIMINARY FREQUENCY MULTIPLICATION AND AUXILIARY CHANNEL BASED ON NONLINEAR SCATTERING PARAMETERS
Sergey F. Atkishkin, Samara University, Samara, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
The article deals with instantaneous frequency measurement (IFM) receiver model. Proposed receiver exploits preliminary frequency multiplication of input signal and auxiliary microwave detector channel. Article goal is investigation of microwave transfer coefficient irregularity compensation method. Another goal is investigation and reduction of measurement error sources. Research goals are reached by mathematical model construction and it further investigation. Mathematical model is based on the nonlinear large signal scattering parameters. Model demonstrates that preliminary frequency multiplication allows reduction of required group delay time of delay line. It is showed that measurement result affected by transfer coefficient irregularity, transfer coefficient instability of receiver chain elements and multiply reflected from irregularities waves. Auxiliary measurement channel and measurement function in the form of voltage ratio at basic channel detector and auxiliary channel detector provide a way to reduce influence of input signal amplitude, instabilities and irregularities of transfer coefficient on the frequency measurement result. It is showed that full reduction of aforementioned factors prevented by parasitic harmonics and multiply reflected waves. Required suppression level of parasitic harmonic are presented. Obtained results can find applications in sphere of electronic warfare and measurement theory and techniques.
Keywords: instantaneous frequency measurement, microwave delay line, frequency multiplication, nonlinear scattering parameters, microwave detector, mathematical model.
1. A.S. Podstrigaev, A.V. Smolyakov and M.G. Slobodyan (2016), «Radars distribution density analysis by frequency band», Zhurnal radioelektroniki, No. 7. P. 1-23.
2. D.V. Babincev, V.Ya. Bataev, A.S. Zhernovenkov, A.S. Kamen’kov, D.Yu. Kapustin, V.M. Malyshchik, and S.A. Frolov (2009), «Wide bandwidth receivers for measurement parameters of pulse and quasicontinuous signals», Elektronnaya tekhnika, seriya 1, SVCH-tekhnika, No.3(502). P. 17-26.
3. S.F. Atkishkin (2019), «Wide bandwidth frequency measurement receiver with preliminary frequency multiplication», Pribory i sistemy. Upravlenie, kontrol, diagnostika, No.10. P. 15-19.
4. J.P. Coupez, H. Gruchala, A. Slowik, Cz. Redko, and A. Rutkowski (2002), «High resolution IFMs», 14th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications. P. 484-487.
5. J.A. Jargon, K.C. Gupta, and D.C. De Groot (2004), «Nonlinear large-signal scattering parameters: theory and applications», ARFTG 63rd Conference. P. 157-174.
6. S.F. Atkishkin (2019), «Irregularity and instability influence compensation on the error in the frequency measurement receiver with preliminary frequency multiplication», Materialy XX koordinacionnogo nauchno-tekhnicheskogo seminara po SVCH tekhnike. P. 81-83.
7. J.K. Hunton (1960). Analysis of Microwave Measurement Techniques by Means of Signal Flow Graphs. IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. 1960. March. P. 206-212.
8. G.Z. Ajzenberg, S.P. Belousov, E.M. Zhurbenko, G.A. Kliger, A.G. Kurashov (1985). Korotkovolnovye antenny. Moscow: Radio i Svyaz’, 536 p.
9. Z. Qinglong, L. Shengli (2011). Comparative Study of X-parameters and Nonlinear Scattering Functions. The Tenth International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments. P. 355-358.
10. Taleb-Alhagh Nia H., V. Nayyeri A 0.85-5.4 GHz 25-W GaN Power Amplifier. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. 2018. Vol. 28. Issue 3. P. 251-253.
11. V. Rizzoli, A. Lipparini (1988). Computation of large-signal S-parameters by harmonic-balance techniques. Electronics letters. No.6. Vol. 24. P. 329-330.
12. B. Ravelo, A. Perennec, M. Le Roy, Y. G. Boucher (2007). «Active Microwave Circuit With Negative Group Delay,» IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. Vol. 17, issue 12. P. 861-863, December 2007.
13. Liu Y., Yang T., Chen J. A 3-50 GHz Ultra-Wideband PHEMT MMIC Balanced Frequency Doublern. IEEE Microwave and wireless components letters. No.9. Vol. 18, 2008. P. 629-631.
14. F. Gruson, G. Bergmann, H. Schumacher. (2004). A Frequency Doubler with High Conversion Gain and Good Fundamental Suppression. IEEE MTT-S Digest. P. 1-4.
15. Y. Tian, K. Lee, H. Wang (2014). A 390 ps On-Wafer True-Time-Delay Line Developed by a Novel Micro-Coax Technology. IEEE Microwave and wireless components letters. No.4. Vol. 24. P. 233-235.
Information about author:
Sergey F. Atkishkin, postgraduate studentá Samara University, Samara, Russia